Not sure if this is real or ‘smart’ but definitely a fun thought for a Friday! Now you can keep your "style" while driving "smart."
Moving in a bipedal fashion is one of the ways we can replace our carbon footprint with our actual footprint. Using those strange, foot-adorned sticks that we call legs as an all-natural method of transportation is a green way of getting to point B from point A.
- Wear Proper Shoes
Proper shoes makes walking more comfortable. Feet that don't hurt are more likely to get used. Therefore, wear proper shoes, and you won't wear out. Check out this list of walking shoes.
- Learn to walk properly
From The Palo Alto Medical Center:
- Keep your chin up and your shoulders back.
- Walk so that the heel of your foot touches the ground first, then roll your weight forward.
- Swing your arms as you walk; this increases the intensity of your walking.
- Start and finish with a few minutes of gentle stretching.
- Think of your walk as having three parts: start with 5 minutes of slow walking, then increase your pace (walking uphill requires more effort), and end with 5 minutes of slower walking. Warming up gradually increases your heart rate and improves blood flow to your muscles. Cooling down allows the heart rate and muscles to return to normal.
- Do a "Talk Test" you should be able to maintain a conversation with your buddy without getting winded. If you can't, slow down a bit.
- Stay Hydrated
Drink water, but not bottled water. Carry a reusable Water bottle.
- Safety First
Stick to clean, well-lit places.
- Notify Others
If you’re walking a great distance, it’s best to let others know what you’re up to in case anything happens.
- Find a Friend
If you are walking to lose weight, there is nothing better than a friend to motivate you and encourage you.
- Dress for the Occasion
If it is hot, wear a hat and proper sun block. In the winter, wear a few small layers so you can adjust your temperature as necessary.
- Pack an a Spare Shirt
If you are commuting by foot, make sure to bring a change of clothes and some all-natural deodorant.