Thursday, March 6, 2014

Smart Solutions for Around the House

From sweet treats to clever storage ideas, these simple projects from our favorite bloggers are sure to make your life better.
By Kathleen Corlett
 
My 3 favorites of the 14 solutions below… go to 14 Smart Solutions for Around the House for the rest. 
 
 
Plant Sitters
"I recycle glass bottles as watering globes when I leave town. Just rinse and fill with water. Dampen the soil, make a hole the size of the bottle neck, then quickly invert and plunge into the dirt. This trick keeps my plants alive for up to two weeks!"
–Megan Andersen Read of RadMegan In Words & Pictures
 
Smarter Speakers
"Rather than plug in a speaker, I use a drink glass to amplify my iPhone's music while I'm cleaning the house or cooking. The shorter the glass, the less the echo effect. It's easy and portable — plus, no cords!"
–Ashley Brown of 7th House on the Left
 
 
Waste Less While Cooking
"I freeze leftover herbs in olive oil so they don't go to waste. Pull off the leaves and place in an ice cube tray, then fill each slot with 1 Tbsp. oil. Stick in freezer overnight, then transfer cubes to a resealable freezer bag. When ready to use, toss a few cubes into a pan!"
–Sheri Silver of Donuts, Dresses and Dirt