As part of the Earth Day Every Day event, over 2900 sea oats will be planted on Fort Lauderdale Beach north of Sunrise Blvd and the eastern edge of Birch State Park. Sea Oats are play an important role in stabilizing our dunes and beaches.
The planting will begin at 8 a.m. Please come and volunteer. Bring gloves and a hand spade if you have one. Also, you will be in the sun so dress appropriately and wear sunscreen. Planting volunteers will get first dibs on the tree give-away.
Earth Day Every Day 2012
Learn How to Make Earth Day Every Day!
This all-day extravaganza offers engaging activities that celebrate the values of sustainability, community, and fun!
Festivities will include:
- Sea oat planting and dune restoration
- A variety of organic and vegan food
- Ecologically-focused workshops/activities for children and adults
- Volunteer opportunities -- Sea turtle rescue and more
- Free giveaway of 100 native trees
- Live entertainment - featuring Teri Catlin, the Didgeridoo Band, and a sunset Drum Circle
- Educational displays by local sustainable businesses and organizations
Also, attend the City of Fort Lauderdale’s new, exciting "Mix It, Curb It" Recycling Program Workshop! Learn how Fort Lauderdale residents won't have to sort recyclables; instead they'll be able to mix them up in one big, blue cart.
For more information go to: http://earthdayhughbirch.com/everyday/
Please email questions and comments to GDempsey@fortlauderdale.gov . Let me hear about what you are doing for Earth Day this year.
Gene Dempsey, City Forester
Office - (954) 828-7704 Fax - (954) 828-7897
Think before you print!