Thursday, May 29, 2014

Tree Thursday - Pudding Pie Tree

Cassia fistula – Golden Shower or Pudding Pie Tree
 
I know I did an article on this species last year but I saw quite of C. fistula trees in bloom along NE 15th Avenue in Victoria Park, Fort Lauderdale (just south of Sunrise Blvd) yesterday.  I just had to stop and take some photos.  As with many flowering trees, this species goes unnoticed until it does bloom.  The yellow flowers drape down and look as if they are cascading to off the tree, hence the common name – Golden Shower.  Another common name I saw online was Pudding Pie Tree and I’m not sure how it got that name. 
 
The tree is originally from India, grows quickly reaching a height of about 35 feet.   It is semi-deciduous in South Florida.
 
Interesting uses of this tree
The flesh of the fruit is used as a laxative and the bark can be used to treat skin infections.  In India the strongly scented pulp is sometimes added to tobacco and smoked.
 
Here’s some pictures I took yesterday: